Monday, May 16, 2011

Dig Dug 2 Review

Welcome back to another video game review. As you guys know, I have already reviewed Super Mario Bros. 2, a game that is very different and farfetched from it’s famous predecessor. Now, it’s time to do the same thing, only this time, we are going to be looking at a game made not by Nintendo, but from another famous game making company, Namco. Namco made games like Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, etc. But I am sure everyone has heard of Dig Dug, the game where you dig your way through the ground to blow up enemies with a pump. A lot of people do not know that there is in fact a sequel to this popular game, Dig Dug 2. When the game was on the verge of being released, many thought that it would be similar to the first in many ways, but just like Mario 2, we got something entirely different.

First of all, I will start out by saying that I have not had much time playing this game, and that I was not able to get to the end to see what happens, but from what I have accomplished, I have come to realize that this game is not only challenging, but as complicating as all hell. The game itself takes place on an island of some sort, not under the ground like in the first game, and the gameplay itself doesn’t even involve any digging. You take control of the main character from the first game, Taizo Hori, who this time is armed with two weapons. One is the pump from the first game, which you can use to to blow up enemies like in the first game, the other is a jackhammer, which you can use to whack a certian black buttons on the ground to destroy some of the land, sending your enemies into the water. But while you attempt to destroy the land, you must avoid the vicious Pookas and Fygars, also from the first game, who want to breath fire upon you and stomp on you.


And trust me folks, it’s harder then it looks. Even if you are a micro-second, those gosh darn enemies will still get to you. It is also very hard to get to one end of the island to the other when some parts are crowded with power-hungry Pookas and Fygars. But to be honest with you, when one, two or three enemies are left on the screen, they will jump off the island and into the ocean. Yeh, they commit suicide. Just like the enemies in Super Mario Bros, just like pumpkin in the NES Silver Surfer game, just like the squirrel in Bible Adventures. They kill themselves. A habit that all video game enemies seem to do. It’s also a pain in the neck to destroy enemies when other enemies are ganging up on you. This is also something that happened in the first Dig Dug game, and to describe my bitter hatred of this flaw, here is a little scit I came up with myself that will explain everything.

Little Bob is playing Dig Dug on the NES. He is close to finishing the level.

Bob: Oh boy! I am finally going to beat this game!

There are two enemies left. Bob goes to destroy the last Pooka.

Bob: Alright! I got this game by the rear end! I’m going to finish it! I’m going to finish…

A Fygar comes behind him and blows fire on him. The game ends.

Bob: ……………………………………………..AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! This is the worst game I ever played. I hate it! I hate it! I hate, hate, hate, hate, hate it! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

You see, it’s nothing but a pain in the backside. It takes one stomp or one blow of fire to send your hopes of winning down the tubes. But to wrap up this review, I will ask the question. Why was this called Dig Dug 2.  You don’t dig, you don’t go underground, you don’t really do anything that you did in the first game. It should have been called Island Dug or Hammer Dug, or Dig Dug: The Island Adventure, okay you get the point, but I just don’t get why they would call it that when it’s not even reminiscent. But in the end, Dig Dug 2 is a great game, just a little challenging and hard in some parts, but other than that, it’s a great game. I still prefer the original Dig Dug to this, because that one to this day is still a fun and exciting game, but Dig Dug 2 has it where it counts.
I will be back to do another game sequel review, but I will not tell you what it is, but until that time, take care and have a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment