Thursday, May 19, 2011

Star Trek 2009 Review



Well, after the somewhat dreadful movie takes of Star Trek that have hit the big screen in the past years, you would think that a new Star Trek film would be a waste of time. However, we were all proven wrong when the new Star Trek film hit the big screen this past month. This movie has for sure gone where no Star Trek movie has gone before and has grossed the most money out of any other Star Trek film. So, what can I say about the new Star Trek film, well there isn’t really  that much to say about it. It was pretty cool, that’s for sure, but it is more then a Star Trek film. It is a drama, a fantasy, and a climatic turn on a classic. This film is perhaps one of the greatest sci-fi thrillers I have ever seen.

So to start, we are introduced to all of the characters, Kirk, Spock, Bones, Uhura, Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty, and I must say, the character development is quite magnificent. We see Kirk’s birth, as well as his childhood, and see the development of Spock as the film progresses. I also like how they somewhat built up on the characters, making them more then you use to be. They made Bones seem a little insane at first, made Sulu more skilled with a sword, and gave Uhura a more feminin appeal. The special effects are also something to babel about. They were so cool, it is almost if they had existing in real life, not through a computer. In my opinion, these effects were quite superior to the ones in the past Star Trek films.



Leonard Nimoy returns as Future Spock, who I must say, still has the overall embodiment of Spock, even after 45 years. It is very strange seeing New Spock talking to Old Spock, Old Spock telling New Spock what is to come of his journeys on the Enterprise. The villain is a Romulan named Nero, which is the name of final ruler of Julio-Claudian dynasty in ancient Rome, you know the one who burned Rome and played the flute as it burned. I really think that the development of Nero is quite good as well, seeing his homeworld destroyed, and his wife and unborn child being killed. I really think the villains of Star Trek are still fantastic, but I think that Nero really tops it in this film.

So, those are my thoughts on the new Star Trek film. On a count of being close to the original series we know and love, this film is the best Star Trek film ever to be released in my opinion. I am looking forward to seeing sequels in the near future, and maybe a reboot on the Next Generation. I really don’t know. All I know is that Star Trek is still a great sci-fi classic, even to this day. Live long and prosper, as Spock would say.

1 comment:

  1. This was one the best remakes I have seen so far in my life, the casting was outstanding, the filming phenomenal, and the effects were out of the world. To start over at the beginning but to change the game in the process was a great idea, no shoes to fill, no expectations to meet, just a clean slate to create new adventures on. This was quite the event at the Theater, so I was excited when it got released on DVD and rented it from Blockbuster that very day. Working at DISH network I spend a lot of time looking through our specials, and I came across one for DISH subscribers can qualify for 3 months free of blockbuster by mail. Check it out at http://bit.ly/m8kwjf

    ReplyDelete